Need help getting started
Hey guys, I'm new here and new to centerfire rifles in general. I am getting into target shooting and hopefully hunting. I have a Tikka T3x lite stainless (.30-06) rifle on order along with a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10×44 with a 30mm tube. I have never mounted a scope nor purchased accessories for hunting rifle. I'm hoping you guys can help answer some questions and leave some recommendations.
1) I can't figure out if I will need to buy a scope mounting picatinny rail or if I can buy scope rings that will mount themselves directly to the rifle receiver. Can someone explain to me the difference between the grooves on either side of the upper part of the rifle receiver and the holes drilled into the top with regards to scope mounting? When do you choose to use one or the other?
2) A salesperson at Cabelas told me that the upper receiver changed from something non-standard in size on the t3 but that they changed it to a standard size on the t3x. Does anyone know what he's talking about because I could not find an answer online.
3) Can anyone recommend an affordable hard rifle case which they know is big enough for this rifle with a scope mounted?
4) Can anyone recommend a good sling?
5) Are there any other awesome rifle accessories that I need to consider buying to up my game?
Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and for any input you can offer. Its hard to figure stuff like this out from scratch when you don't have a mentor in your family or group of friends.
Log in to reply.