- MemberSeptember 12, 2020 at 2:45 pm
I was hoping this group could help me figure out an issue I am having with my rifle. I went from completely confident in the rifle, to totally not confident. Here are the details.
I sighted in the rifle at 100 yards over two sessions. I was pretty happy with the results. Then I replaced the elevation dial with a CDS dial that I got from Leupold (it just lets you dial in the range and aim dead on). I went to the range to test it out and this is what happened.
- Tikka T3x 7mm Mag.
- Leupold 3.5-10x Scope (Talley Mounts, don’t seem loose)
- 2 heavy bean bag rests (front and back of rifle)
- CDS dial that was set to my exact ammo (albeit a different elevation and temperature)
- I set the dial to 300 yards and hit a 12″ gong at 300 yards 3 times in a row. (awesome, I thought!)
- Since all 3 shots were about 4-5″ to the right, I clicked the windage dial 4 clicks to the right. I then set the dial to 100 yards and took 3 shots at my 100 yard target. Good group, still ever so slightly right, so I decided to adjust 1 more click to the right. I then shot 2 more shots and they were right on target.
- I then set the dial to 300 yards and took a shot at the gong at 300 yards. I missed with this shot.
- I then went through a box of 20 rounds, only hitting the gong randomly 1 more time. A couple times I set up on the 100 yard target and hit mostly dead on, but had a few flyers there too (maybe my aim, but seemed pretty far off)
Here are my theories of why I can’t hit anything anymore
- Maybe the barrel got way too warm? All of the shooting (~25 rounds) was done within about 30 minutes and it was hot to the touch.
- I realized when I was done shooting that I had still yet to clean the barrel since it was new. So the gun had seen 60 rounds without cleaning. (at about 40 rounds I hit the gong 3 times in a row, but maybe some major fouling happened after the 7 shots after that causing me to miss.)
- I could have been flinching a bit, but I doubt it because at 100 yards I was pretty much dead on, and I really took my time
I don’t expect a solid answer, but I would love any advice. I am pretty anal when it comes to details so this is driving me crazy. My hunt is about 2 weeks away, so this is really bothering me.
- ModeratorSeptember 12, 2020 at 11:27 pm
Barrel getting too hot and starting to touch the stock 🤷♂️
- MemberSeptember 16, 2020 at 3:08 pm
That 7mm Mag barrel will be pretty hot after more than 3 conservative shots. <font face=”inherit”>Not uncommon for this caliber to lose accuracy over a string of multiple shots especially if </font>shooting<font face=”inherit”> a lite barrel. </font>
Try 3 cold bore shots and report back.
- This reply was modified 1 month ago by Dog Down.
Log in to reply.