DIY Brass Tumbler
I was looking at the brass tumblers available and could not bring myself to pay what these companies want.
Any of the really good ones can run anywhere around $1000.00
I clean brass for a few friends so pretty much all the smaller rotary ones in the $250-$500 range did not have the volume capacity I wanted.
Did some searching and came across alot of DIY tumblers and the 5 gallon direct drive design seemed to be the best. Here's what I made based on several designs on Youtube.
Direct drive wiper motor tumbler.
– Honda civic wiper motor – used (turns at approximate 50-60rpm) = $20.00
– 1/4″ aluminum plate, including bending = $30.00
– 2 small castor wheels with bearings = $5.00
– 2…5 gallon buckets + gamma lid = $20.00
– Misc bolts & parts = $10.00
– DC to AC power convertor = $20.00
– 5lbs of stainless steel media = $50.00
Total build cost = $155.00
The orange bucket threads onto the drive shaft when powered on…the white bucket suction fits into the orange bucket and is fully removable. The white bucket as a bracket riveted inside to lift and turn the brass.
The entire system can clean about 20lbs brass + media without a sweat. The gamma lid makes everything easy to clean and provides a great seal.
I'll post some results in the next coming days of a mixed load of 300wsm, 308, 30-06, 223 brass I plan on doing.
Very easy project if you have the time, and it will last forever.
Log in to reply.